Our annual end-of-year concert is a major highlight of the dancing year! Our adults absolutely love the opportunity they get to work towards the goal of performing on stage together. From absolute beginners to advanced dancers in all shapes and sizes and from all walks of life, it’s a truly exciting and rewarding experience. The concert is that time of year when we recognise how much dance means to us all and how much of a family we have here at Dance Habit.
WHEN IS THE CONCERT?
- Sunday 24 November, 2.30pm; and
- Sunday 24 November, 6.00pm
To be eligible to participate in the concert, all adults must perform in both concerts. We do two concerts because:
- We love being on stage and work so hard in the lead up that it makes perfect sense to double the enjoyment;
- All dancers learn choreography as a group, which means each student has a special place within their dance and they rely on one another during the performance.
CONCERT COMPLIANCE FORM
All adults enrolled in a dance class need to complete and return a Concert Compliance Form. While the event is not compulsory, we’d love for you to join us! We need a completed form from all enrolled students, including those choosing to opt out and these must be returned by Saturday 21 September.
WHERE IS THE CONCERT HELD?
At the beautiful Moonee Ponds Clocktower Centre. We are very lucky to have an annual booking at this theatre – it is very special.
COMPULSORY DRESS REHEARSAL
All students are required for a compulsory safety briefing and dress rehearsal at the venue on Tuesday 19 November (evening).
No dress rehearsal = no performance.
It is compulsory for all students performing in the concert to attend their dress rehearsal. This is to familiarise performers with the venue, dressing rooms and stage and to ensure you are comfortable with the environment. Furthermore, the venue enforces a safety induction for all performers and this briefing will be conducted at dress rehearsals.
Dress rehearsals are held at the performance venue and all students must present in full costume with hair and makeup done as required for the concert.
Please be aware that once provided, dress rehearsal schedules are a guide only. Due to the nature of these events, it is possible that rehearsals may not run strictly to schedule so we request your patience on the day. Note that the dress rehearsal is a closed session (i.e. family and friends will not be able to watch).
Once finalised, you will be able to find the schedule for both Dress Rehearsal (Tuesday 19 November) and Concert Day (Sunday 24 November) here. Be sure to diarise the important dates and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Participating in a concert does incur costs that are in addition to dance class fees. We like to be transparent about this from the get-go, so here is a summary for your convenience:
- Costumes – prices will vary depending on the class as each group decides together (see more below).
- Tickets – prices reflect the cost to hire a professional theatre and we are currently finalising these details. For reference, tickets in 2018 were $35 for adults, $27 for concession card holders and full time students and $15 for children.
- Videography – Our videographer (Mode Videography) requested we move to offering online/on-demand streaming and downloading of the concert via a password protected link because in recent years, there has been a higher than normal failure rate of the DVDS. Additionally, DVDs are being phased out worldwide and this shortage has consequently resulted in a significant price increase. With streaming/download now the only viable option, we have given much consideration to how we can manage this element of our concerts going forward. Part of our review included whether or not we would offer videography at all. We looked at DVD sales from previous years and noted that almost all families purchased a copy of the DVD, so we are clear that this is something the majority want included in their concert experience. As such, videography will be a flat rate of $20 per family across the Junior, Senior and Adult School in 2019, giving you access to all concerts.
We want to ensure everyone feels comfortable on stage, so we ask students to take an active role in sourcing the costumes (with guidance from the relevant teacher). If a bulk purchase is needed, we will order and pay for these on behalf of the class then invoice each student for the cost of their costume and shipping if required (no markup).
Each class has a private Facebook group page and we encourage discussion both on there and before or after classes. We hope that this will ensure everyone is satisfied with the final product.
WHAT ARE THE TICKET PRICES AND HOW DO I PURCHASE?
Ticket sales are managed directly by the Clocktower Centre Box Office. When available, you will be able to book online HERE or by phoning the Box Office on (03) 9243 9191. There are no limits per family and it will be first-in, first-served. This means that we will take no responsibility should tickets sell out. Note that we do not yet have an ‘on sale’ date from the Clocktower Centre. We will let you know as soon as we find out!Ticket prices reflect the cost to hire a professional theatre and we are currently finalising these details. For reference, tickets in 2018 were $35 for adults, $27 for concession card holders and full time students and $15 for children.
John Travers Photography will return to capture our concert photos again this year. Stage photos will be taken on concert day and a Photo Day is scheduled to be held on Saturday 16 November. There will be opportunities for individual and group photos, which can be purchased directly from the photographer (print or digital) shortly after the concert. Photos are not compulsory.
CONCERT RUNNING ORDER
Click below for the order in which each class will dance at the concert. Students in multiple items should check the running order and note any quick changes. If you have any concerns about the running order, let us know.
HAIR TUTORIALS (IF NEEDED)
BE SURE TO WARM UP!
It is really important that students take responsibility to warm up before performing to avoid injury. Here’s a great document from our Conditioning Coach, Lisa-Marie to help you get your body ready safely for performance on the day.
I HAVE A QUESTION YOU HAVEN’T ANSWERED…
Please contact us by email if anything is unclear. Your feedback is welcome and your cooperation and patience is sincerely appreciated.
Happy concert season everyone – enjoy the magic!!