Come and support our dancers at their 2021 Choreography Competition!
This is one of our favourite events of the year because we get to see students of all ages develop and share their own work. This friendly in-house competition is about providing a platform for creativity, not about rewarding the most talented dancer. It’s a space for the quiet achievers to be seen. Entering takes courage, so we congratulate all students who take part and can’t wait for the event!
The winners of each section will be invited to perform at our Preschool Concert on Sunday 22 August at the Altona Civic Theatre.
Information Session: Friday 16 July, 4.00pm on Zoom
If you are a current student and missed the information session, please contact us to request a copy of the recording.
Submissions Close: Wednesday 4 August (extended due to lockdown!)
Enter via your Parent Portal.
Workshops with Teachers: 6 & 13 August, 4.30-5.30pm
Competition: Friday 20 August, 4.30pm (venue TBC)
Winners Performance at Preschool Concert: Sunday 22 August, Altona Theatre (time TBC)
HOW TO ENTER
Entries are now open via your Parent Portal.
About the Comp:
All entry monies and admission donations go toward the running of the competition, including the workshops, external adjudicator hire and purchasing of ribbons and trophies for our competitors. Students enter the competition as the choreographer for their dance. They can choose to choreograph on themselves or friends to create a solo, duo, trio or group entry.
Those who enter the competition may choreograph dances as solos, duos, trios or groups in any of the following genres:
A ballet dance without story or props, to a piece of classical music. Senior students attending Pointe classes may opt to dance en Pointe.
A classical ballet dance that tells a story through movement plus mime or acting.
Jazz technique to a variety of music from old to new incorporating isolations, turns, kicks, jumps and floor work. Includes ‘broadway’ or ‘musical theatre’ jazz. Acro not permitted and dance only (no singing).
Incorporates all styles of Hip Hop dance, including Break Dance.
A bare foot dance exploring abstract and individual movement patterns. Seek to find freedom and release through movement – use of gravity and breath are important.
A style of dance distinguished by percussive footwork that marks out precise rhythmic patterns on the floor using tap shoes
Lyrical is an off-set from Jazz. While it utilises the technical elements of ballet and jazz, it is differentiated by the concept of story-telling. In basic form, lyrical dance is movement to lyrics. Often slow, but not always – movement is inspired by the words in a song. This is a feel-good choreography-based class that enables you to communicate and feel emotion through movement, staged to a great selection of music from a wide range of artists.
Entry fees (payable by the Choreographer)
Solos: $20.00 each per entry
Duos, Trios & Groups: $30.00 per group
The venue will be confirmed once entries are finalised and we know how many families we need to accommodate. A live stream is being considered should COVID-restrictions limit our ability to run at full capacity.
- Only one person may be named as the choreographer for each item and the dance must be 100% choreographed by this student.
- Choreographers may choose to choreograph on themselves or others in a solo, duo, trio or group dance.
- Choreographers are encouraged to consider their vision for the dance first then select dancers that suit their vision. All dancers are unique and bring different qualities to movement, so we encourage students to use this as an opportunity to work with and get to know new friends in addition to the connections they already have.
- Age of choreographer to be that on the closing date of entries (30 July 2021).
- Music must be submitted by email as a file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 13 August 2021. Tracks must be purchased and downloaded (we cannot accept streaming links).
- Music MUST be cut to where the competitor requires. Music cutting is available for $5 per cut. Please enquire at the office if you need assistance.
- The competition is subject to minimum entries.
- No marks are given for costume, but excellence in grooming is essential.
- The adjudicator will be external to Dance Habit and his/her decision is final.
- Competitors must be present and ready to perform before their section begins or they may be disqualified.
The item may be less than the time allowed and must not be exceeded.
12yrs & under – 2 minutes
13yrs & over – 3 minutes
All age groups – 3 minutes