We think dance is for everyone!
Founder and Director, Megan Jessop says
“Growing up, dance was everything to me. I was a child who struggled to make friends at school, but dance taught me how to be patient and kind, to accept and love myself, to embrace a challenge and to never give up on my dreams, whatever they might be. Dance opened up a world of friendships, many of which I still treasure 25 years down the track! I want everyone to experience this journey, and it’s never too late to start.”
Dance often carries with it a stigma whereby only the students with natural ability or potential get any attention. Too often, we see and hear of children (and adults) disappearing into the shadows of a dance class, becoming just a number because they may never “make it” as a dancer. Here’s where we come in!
At Dance Habit, we understand that there is so much more to dance classes than just learning steps. Our students grow in dance ability, but more importantly, they grow in confidence and belief in themselves. They learn respect and trust and are surrounded by teachers and families who genuinely care about them.
Here are some other reasons many choose Dance Habit as their home away from home:
- Capped classes – smaller classes means more one-on-one.
- State of the art facilities – two studios with barres, mirrors and sprung floors plus viewing windows for parents.
- Variety – tons of different styles on offer for all members of the family.
- Performance – two opportunities for all students to perform each year.
- No sewing – only one costume per class, per year. Costume prices are kept to a minimum, purchased on your behalf and yours to keep. No ridiculous hire fees for decade-old costumes!
- Age appropriate costuming, music and choreography – you’d expect nothing less!
- Committed teachers – industry professionals who are committed to their classes, providing lesson plans and appropriate handover if unavailable.
- Internal assessments – an annual opportunity to be assessed by an external dance professional for feedback and growth.
- Academy Programs – designed for those children and adolescents looking for a pathway to pursue a career in the Performing Arts.
- Safe dance practice – our students are never put in dangerous positions or made to do steps beyond their strength or flexibility.
- Teamwork and peer support – junior, senior and adult students have many opportunities to mingle throughout the year.
- Student teacher training – an informal program where senior students are invited to work with junior classes and learn important teaching skills.
- Communication – you will always know what’s happening at Dance Habit – we promise to reply to phone calls and emails promptly.
- Community voice – we support local organisations through donations, vouchers and volunteering. In 2014, we raised $605 for the West Welcome Wagon. In 2015, we raised $550 for Women’s Health West. In 2016, we raised $393.60 for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) and also donated $400 to the Les Twentyman Foundation.
We understand that not every school is the perfect fit for every student, so we encourage you to come and join us for a trial class to see if what we offer is what you’re looking for!